when I studied at Duke University in the late 1980's they had just set up the Fuqua School of Leadership. There were a lot of jokes about how to say the name. today they have an impressive track record.
I have a book of Disney's creative leadership activities, most of which I've never used. Here are Disney's learnings about improvisational leadership from Prof Robert Kulhan at Duke:
- Suspending Judgment – keeping your mind open to possibilities
- Managing Attitude – using the phrase “yes and...” to frame thoughts in positive ways
- Reacting and Adapting – letting natural intelligence rise to the surface
- Taking Risk – having the courage to seize opportunities and make them work for you
- Learning and Practicing – taking time to learn and practice your new skill set
read the full article here.
While I'm on this, a great paper given at the Aust Assoc of Researchers in Education (AARE) Conference on learning and creativity here. I thought I'd link to the full list of articles. Belinda Allen's paper is fourth on the list.