I've just been to the annual gathering of the Uniting Church's national Christian Education Reference Commitee held here in Adelaide. About 10 people gather from across the country for this, and during the year connect via teleconference. So what did we discuss?
- the recent conferences/training and interest in Messy Church and Godly Play, and how we might support the current interest and work by synods in this
- resourcing and publishing in Christian education - a lively conversation with Rev Dr Ian Price from MediaCom
- my research project on the future of Christian education in the UCA
- a project to work on new baptism and confirmation materials for the UCA
- a collaboration with the UCA's National Youth Affairs Reference Committee (NYARC) to add a Christian Education 'stream' to the proposed national in-service for children, youth & family ministry people in August 2012. Proposed dates are 24-31 August in Sydney
- exploring a DVD & group discussion resources of "Discipleship Stories" - how congregations help people learn and grow in faith & discipleship
- Wendi Sargeant's recently completey PhD thesis on Christian education in the emerging church
- developments regarding UCA schools in terms of governance, RE, chaplaincy etc
- our national communication strategy for CE - new Assembly website coming soon!), Twitter (@UCAChristianEd), Facebook and online community at UnitingLeaders
- the Next Generations Project - where current project parts are up to and what new things we might sponsor
- new and recent CE resources
An interesting, full and rich agenda of stuff. With the communications strategy in place we hope to keep people across the country better informed about what is happening and what is available.