I'm blogging a backlog of Alive@5 programs... This is from August 2015.
The theme was based on the parable of the Sower and the Seed.
1. Arrival Activity - Name that Seed
We put out 10 different seeds in bowls and people had to guess which one matched the names of seeds provided. Download Name-That-Seed (PDF)
2. Welcome and Theme Intro
3. Song - ""Move When Jesus Says Move"
4. Prayer of Thanks - we thanked God for tiny things, asking people to name them
5. Video - Parable of the Sower and the Seed - Holy Moly
6. Theme reflection
- I wonder what the story was about.
- What did you see and hear?
- I wonder what the seeds might represent?
- I wonder what the thorns represent?
- I wonder who the sower is?
7. Video - Parable of the Sower from the movie "Godspell"
8. Theme Reflection
- Jesus says that the seeds are people who have heard his teachings.
- Some of them hear his teachings but don’t understand them.
- Some of them ignore or forget what they have heard.
- Some are really enthusiastic, but when times get hard, they give up.
- Sometimes the message gets choked by all of the other messages about what is important.
- But some people not only grow but they bear fruit, they pass on Jesus’ words to others.
The parable only makes sense when you realise that following Jesus teachings isn’t always easy or natural for us, and that Jesus teachings often challenge our social values and behaviour.
What are some of those saying of Jesus? (Hand out "Jesus Words" cards - Download Jesus-Words PDF)
I showed an image of former Australian of the Year Adam Goodes and commented on his recent racist treatment by football crowds and asked what it would mean for us to live out the words of Jesus.
a. Clowning - Dress up as a clown and re-enact your own version of the parable. This idea came from the Godspell movie and the dramas were filmed on a mobile phone.
b. Clay - Make something that reminds you of the story
c. Cards - Play a card game with "Sayings of Jesus" - Download Sayings-of-Jesus (PDF)
10. Show and Tell - we usually give people the chance to briefly show and tell what they did in the activities if they wish.
11. Song - "Thank You God for Everything"
May we be open to wise teachings
May we be open to the kindness of others
May we be open to the gift of faith
May we be open to inner peace
May we be open to showing mercy
May we be open to God’s Spirit guiding us
Today and every day
13. Video - "From Little Things, Big Things Grow"