This is from July 2015. The theme was about the Parable of the House on the Rock and about the foundations of home life.
1. Arrival Activity - We didn't have one for a change. I thought of a few but couldn't find one that I liked.
2. Video - We linked the theme with short clips from the movie "Despicable Me" so we started off with a couple of these to introduce the story.
3. Theme Introduction
In May our theme was “Family Matters” and we started to explore the theme of families. (Story of boy Jesus getting lost and going to the Temple.) Today we’re continuing that theme and asking about the foundations of our home life? What makes our family life, our home life, strong and what give it structure? So our theme is “House Rules” and we’re using the metaphor of building a house to think about what kind of family life we’re building.
4. Song - "Put On Love"
5. Prayer of Thanks - interactive prayer. What are we thankful for about our families?
6. Video - " Despicable Me" clip
- What are some of the rules in your house?
- Why do we have rules?
- What is the difference between a rule and a habit?
8. Video - "House on the Rock" - Holy Moly
- What gives your home a good foundation?
- What makes for a shaky foundation?
Comments about "Despicable Me", namely about Gru being isolated and pursuing his goals and needing to learn to be part of a family.
Jesus’ words: Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.
Handout - I gave the adults a handout summarising Search Institute's research on Family Assets.
- Story Bibles - I put out a range of Bibles for all ages so that people could see age-appropriate options for engaging with Jesus' words, so to speak
- Mime Time - a game where people were invited (in small groups) to choose a situation and an attitude and act it out, and then talk about how a different attitude might change the situation. Download Mime-Time (PDF)
- Table Talk - I chose a number of cards from the Deep Speak set from Innovative Resources and made up a table game. Download Table-Talk (PDF)
- The Block - Make a Lego or Duplo house (activity for young children)
- Prayers for Families - Tables with books with photos of families, candles, magnetic poetry (same activity as last month) Download Prayer-for-Families (PDF)
11. Newspaper Game
I had a game planned earlier but then forgot about it. So we played it now. Groups of 5-6 people were given newspaper and tape and asked to build the tables structure that the could. The instructions were intentionally ambiguous, as the team themselves could be part of the structure - hence people being the foundations.
12. Video - "Despicable Me" clip
13. Song - "Thank you, God, for everything"
May our homes be strong
in the experience of God’s hope
in the knowing of God’s words
in the sharing of God’s peace
in the celebration of God’s joy
in the living of God’s love.